Week of March 9, 2015

Weather has rearranged our schedule! 
9 H: Test on Phrases Wed. 3/11 
Vocabulary quiz Wed. 3/11 
Short story assignment due and test 3/19 
Study short story notes 

9 Reg: Write a hook to a short story (See handout attached) 
Review Short story notes for unit test Next Wed.  
Review “The Necklace” page 332. for reading check Leads 

The lead is the hook. It keeps readers reading and establishes topic, direction, voice, everything. A boring lead may keep the reader from reading on. You want the lead to create tension—a problem that the writing will solve. Don’t worry about including everything in your lead; if you tell too much too soon, then the piece has nowhere to go. Embed context—who, what, when, where, why—as writing progresses. 

I. Typical Lead: 

It was a day at the end of June, 1984. My whole family, including my mom, dad, brother and me, were at our camp at Rangely Lake. We arrived the night before at 10:00 so it was dark when we got there and unpacked. The next morning when I was eating breakfast my dad started yelling for me from down at the dock at the top of his lungs about a car in the lake. 

II. Action Lead: Character doing something 

I ran down to our dock as fast as my legs could carry me, my feet pounded away on the old wood, hurrying me toward the sound of my dad’s panicked voice. “Scott!” he hollered again.  
“Coming, dad!” I gasped, and picked up my speed. 

III. Dialogue Lead: Characters saying something 

“Scott! Get down here on the double!” my father hollered. 
“Dad?” I hollered back. “Where are you?” I was sitting at the kitchen table eating breakfast our first morning at our Rangley Lake camp, and from someplace outside my dad was calling for me. 
“Scott! MOVE IT. You’re not going to believe this,” dad’s voice urged me. I gulped down my milk, pushed away from the table and bolted-out the door, slamming the broken screen door behind me. 

IV. Reaction Lead: Character thinking about something 

I couldn’t imagine what my father could be hollering about already at 7:00 in the morning. I thought hard and fast about what I might have done to get him so riled up. Could he have found out about the cigarettes I’d hidden in my knapsack? Or the way I’d talked to my mother the night before, when we got to camp and she’d asked me to help unpack the car? Before I could consider a third possibility my dad’s voice shattered my thoughts. 
“Scott! Move it! You’re not going to believe this!”  

-->