2: 3 October 2015

To All: 

This past Friday we took our first comprehensive Social Studies Test. The test was on Unit 2, Geography. The student had all of the questions as they were tested on previous quizzes, classwork, etc. The grade has been posted on Tyler. If you have access to that system you can view the grade. If your student has an “I” in the test category it means that they were either absent or did not finish the test. Either way, the plan is to get those students caught up on Monday.  

Interim Reports are coming home on Wednesday and Monday is the last day to submit grades so if for some reason your student does not complete the test the “I” will stay in the test column and be averaged as a zero until made up/completed. Since tests are weighted at 40% of total grade this can have a significant impact on the Interim grade. Do not panic until we catch up. 

On that note I will tell you that in some cases I am not pleased with current grades, as I am sure some of you are not. For the most part this material is a repeat of Elementary material so in all honesty I expect either an “A”, “B”:, or “C” at this point. Lower than that and we have either the possibility of a Reading Comprehension issue or a student failure to study/review the material outside of the classroom to the extent needed. We need to attempt to identify the issue and work to resolve it ASAP. In that regard I obviously need your assistance. 

On a more positive note I am very pleased overall with the conduct of the students on the Eagle Team. Myself, and other Team members, are getting very positive comments about the conduct of our students from all quarters. We obviously need to keep that up. As for me personally I can say that the students appear to have adjusted to my approach and to my expectations, but as I mentioned at Orientation; I expect that. Please compliment them as we want to continue on that positive road. 

Following are some events/notes of upcoming “stuff”: 

* Students were given their next Interactive Notes Folder Packet, US1.3, Native Americans, last week. We will begin our classroom study of that unit on Tuesday, 6 October.  

* Tuesday, 6 October is the last day to turn in Virginia Diner Fund Raiser packets. Than you for your support. All monies raised that the school receives is plowed directly back into student support. 

* Wednesday, 7 October 2015: Interim Reports come home. Please sign the brown envelope on the appropriate line and have your student return it to their Homeroom teacher on Thursday. The actual report is yours to keep. If you have any questions either stick a note in the envelope or e-mail me at rleary@pgs.k12.va.us. 

* Remember that I use the Student Agenda as my primary means of of homework assignments. I post daily assignments, by class, on the classroom board and it is the responsibility of the student to copy that assignment down. If you would like a signature at that assignment I can do that; just have the student bring the agenda to me. Remember that the standing homework assignment for every night is to study and review previous materials. Your student should never tell you that they have no Social Studies homework. 

Thank you for your continued support. We are off to a great start! 

R. Leary 
Team Eagle 
rleary@pgs.k12.va.us 

-->