How to wear the JROTC Uniform
Wear of the ACU Coat / Trousers
- The coat is worn hook and looped and zipped.
- The coat has a hook and loop fasteners for wearing shoulder sleeve insignia, rank, JROTC patch, and school name tape.
- The mandarin collar will be normally worn in the down position
- cadets are authorized to wear the mandarin collar in the up position when weather conditions dictate the wear as prescribed by the SAI/AI
- The coat is normally worn outside the trousers, and the trousers are worn with a belt. The coat may also be worn inside the trousers when directed by the SAI/AI. The coat will not extened below the top of the cargo pocket on the trousers and will not be higher than the bottom of the side pocket on the trousers.
- The elbow pouch with hook and loop closure for internal elbow pad inserts must be closed at all times.
- Sleeves will be worn down at all times, and not rolled or cuffed.
- The moisture wicking tan t-shirt or cotton t-shirt is worn underneath the coat and it is tucked inside the trousers at all times.
- Cadets will wear the trousers tucked into the top of the boots or bloused using the draw strings at the bottom of the trousers. When bloused, the trousers should not extend below the third eyelet from the top of the boot.
- The ACU is meant to fit loosely and comfortably. Alterations to hinder this are not authorized.
- Cadets will wear the ACU in accordance with CCR 145-2.
- Cadets will not wrap the trouser leg around the leg tightly enough to present a pegged appearance to insert any items inside the trouser leg to create a round appearance at the bottom of the trouser leg.
Wear of the ACU Headgear
- The ACU patrol cap will be the only headgear worn with the uniform.
- Cadets will wear the ACU patrol cap straight on the head so that the cap band creates a straight line around the head, parallel to the ground.
- The patrol cap will fit snugly and comfortably around the largest part of the head without distortion or excessive gaps. The cap is worn so that no hair is visible on the forehead beneath the cap. Sewn or pin-on rank is worn on the ACU patrol cap.
- The velcro area on the rear of the cap will remain blank at all times.
Wear of Desert / Optional Boots
- Black boots are NOT authorized for wear with the ACU.
- Army combat boots - (hot weather and temperate weather) made of tan rough sides out of cattle hide leather with a plain toe and tan rubber outsoles.
- The boots are laced diagonally with tan laces with access lace tucked into the top of the boot under the bloused trousers, or wrapped around the top side of the boot.
- Only boots with tan rubber outsoles are authorized for wear.
The ACU Care policy
- Wash in cold water and mild detergent containing no optical brightness or bleach. Tumble dry at low heat (Not to exceed 130 degrees Farenheit). Remove immediately from the dryer and fold flat or place on a rust-proof hangar to ensure heat from the dryer does not set wrinkles.
- To drip dry, remove the washer/water and place on a rust-proof hanger. Do not wring or twist.